For your final presentation, you will play the role of a Project Manager at a well-known company about to start a major project. You will be responsible for the following items:
1. Choose a well-known company and a real or imaginary business project. The project could be the introduction of a new product or service, the creation of a website, a software launch, or any other type of business initiative that would require a project management team to form and oversee the project.
2. Prepare a one-page description of the company and a one-page description of the project. In the project description, please list all the key stakeholders who will attend the project kickoff meeting. The list should give their names (imaginary is fine) and job titles, and a brief description of their level of knowledge about the subject (novice, general knowledge, expert knowledge, thorough technical knowledge, etc.). Discuss how their level of knowledge will influence how you will communicate with them.
3. Next, write an email to the project team members inviting them to the project kickoff meeting. Include the standard To, From, Subject categories, and make sure to write a SUBJECT heading that clearly describes the nature of the email.
4. Develop a 10-minute PowerPoint presentation to start the project kickoff meeting.
5. Record a video of yourself delivering the kickoff meeting. Use the free app Screen-O-Matic to record your PowerPoint presentation, with your computer webcam turned on to record the PowerPoint slides, the audio of you speaking to the group and narrating the slides, and video of you making this presentation. If you do not own a laptop computer with a built-in webcam, please contact your instructor to discuss alternative methods of recording your presentation. You can download the free Screencast-O-Matic app at this link http://www.screencast-o-matic.com/ . You may use any other type of screencast capture service that you like, but I suggest Screencast-O-Matic since it is free and easy to use.
6. You will submit all your work through a file submission link in Moodle. You will use the submission text box to copy/past your written work, and you will include a link to YouTube, where you will post the video file that shows you presenting your PowerPoint in an mp4 video file. You will need to create a YouTube account to do this, and you will need to make sure that you do not lock the privacy settings since your instructor and other students will need to see your video. This submission is due in Week 13 of the semester.
7. Also in Week 13 of the semester, you will use a Forum to post a link to the video that you created, posted to YouTube. In the Forum, you will not need to provide the written material that you prepared for the assignment. In the Forum, you will simply post the link to YouTube where you loaded your video file.
8. Students will be offering peer reviews of other students’ video recordings of their kickoff meetings during Week 14. I will assign student groupings so that you know whose video you must review. You may comment on other students’ posted videos on the Forum, but you MUST follow the assigned student groupings for the mandatory critique. This will ensure that all students are reviewed by other students. Early in the semester I will announce and post the student pairings.